Terms of Service
(Last Revised August 17, 2010)
WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITES! CERTAIN SITES ALLOW YOU TO ENGAGE IN VARIOUS ACTIVITIES, SUCH AS TO INTERACT AND CHAT WITH OTHER USERS THROUGH THE DISCUSSION FORUMS, TO POST MESSAGES AND OTHER CONTENT THROUGH BLOGS, DISCUSSION FORUMS AND OTHER ONLINE PLACES, AND TO PARTICIPATE IN ONLINE COMMUNITIES. WE HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR TIME SPENT ON OUR WEBSITES.
LINCOLN FINANCIAL MEDIA COMPANY AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, OR AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, “LFMC,” “OUR,” “WE” or “US”) RESERVE THE RIGHT IN THEIR SOLE DISCRETION TO DENY ACCESS TO ALL OR PART OF OUR WEBSITES
WE ALSO RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE ANY FEATURES ON OUR WEBSITES AND TO CHANGE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AT ANY TIME, SO WE RECOMMEND VISITING OUR SITES FREQUENTLY TO SEE OUR NEW AND EXCITING CHANGES AND TO VISIT THIS PAGE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE RULES HAVE NOT CHANGED SINCE YOUR LAST VISIT.
2. Accounts. To use some features of our Websites, you may need to create an account. To do so, you must provide correct and complete information. This means you cannot use a false or misleading name or a name that you are not authorized to use. Impersonating another person on our Websites is prohibited. You become entirely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account (including any and all charges incurred while your account is being used and liability for harm caused by statements made or materials posted under your account), so be sure to keep your account password secure and tell us immediately if you think there has been unauthorized use of your account.
4. Copyright. Everything on or used in connection with our Websites, including but not limited to text, images, graphics, logos, audio and video content, software (collectively, "Content") – with the exception of User Generated Content as defined below – is owned by us and/or our affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors or suppliers. This means that you cannot use the Content without our permission.
Here’s what permission we do give you to use the Content. You may only use the Content online for purposes of visiting and using our websites, and only for your personal, non-commercial use. This means that, unless we specify otherwise, you may not download any of our Content, give copies to your friends, display the Content publicly, or charge anything for it (these are only meant to be examples and are not an exhaustive list of things you can’t do with our Content). Also, you may not use the Content to construct any kind of database or your own website.
5. Discussion Forum Rules: If the Website you are visiting has a discussion forum, bulletin board, chat room, blog, message board, or other online community location (collectively “Discussion Forum”), the following rules apply:
- Your Profile information. When you create an account to use our Discussion Forums, you do not have to disclose any of the “suggested” information like your gender, birth date and real name.
You will, however, be able to build a public profile which allows other members to see information that you submit to us. You can privatize some of the information on your public profile, such as your e-mail address. To protect your safety, please use your best judgment. We discourage divulging personal phone numbers and addresses or other information that can be used to identify or locate you.
Under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. Although you do not have to disclose your birth date, if any information is disclosed in your profile or submissions that can identify you as a child under the age of 13, we reserve the right to delete, edit, or reject such information, your entire profile or your submission.
- Be courteous. In a community full of opinions and preferences, people always disagree. We encourage active discussions and welcome debate in our Discussion Forums. However, we do not tolerate personal attacks, threats, verbal abuse, defamatory, obscene, hateful or slanderous language, or deliberate disruption of discussions with repetitive messages, meaningless messages, or "spam." You also are prohibited from using the Websites to engage in any illegal conduct. Please contact our site/privacy administrators at email@example.com if you have concerns about the conduct of other users on our Websites. We reserve the right in our sole discretion to temporarily suspend or permanently block access by anyone to all or part of our Websites at any time.
No Thread Hijacking. Thread hijacking – or taking a Discussion Forum thread unreasonably off topic by discussing something entirely unrelated to the discussion at hand, or submitting an unreasonable number of off-topic posts to a thread that does not contribute to the value of a discussion - is disrespectful to other discussion forum members and discourages members from participating in discussions. So please don’t hijack threads.
We encourage you to tell us if you believe a member is hijacking a thread. We will attempt to remind users perceived as engaging in thread hijacking to start a new thread for their discussion or, in our sole discretion, may temporarily suspend or permanently block access by such user to one or more of our forums.
Session identification stores your current session (visit) on our server using your IP address, username, encrypted password, and any board passwords you may use during your session. If you use session identification, you will be logged out after three (3) hours of inactivity.
6. User Content Representations and Warranties: Our Websites may allow you to upload or share content on the Websites so that other users can enjoy it. It’s great that you can upload or share content on some of our Websites; however, there are definitely some things we do not permit you to upload or share on our Websites. Do not upload or share anything on the Websites such as messages, posts, text, film, video, audio, photographic, other recordings or images, or any other content (collectively, “User Generated Content”) that you do not have a right to use and share on the Internet. By uploading or sharing any User Generated Content on our websites, you represent and warrant that: (a) you are the original author or creator of the User Generated Content and/or have full copyright, title and interest in and to any User Generated Content, (b) you have the full power and authority to upload and/or share the User Generated Content on the Websites, (c) the use of any element of the User Generated Content will not violate or infringe upon the trademarks, trade names, copyrights, patents, rights or privacy or publicity or any other personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity, and will not defame or libel any person or entity, (d) you will not publish falsehoods or misrepresentations that could damage LFMC or any third party; (e) you will not submit material that is, obscene, threatening, pornographic, harassing, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, violate any law, or is otherwise inappropriate, (f) you will not post or disseminate advertisements or solicitations of business, or otherwise engage in commercial activity on our Websites, (g) you will not impersonate another person, (h) you will not solicit any user for material gain, and (i) you will not produce spam throughout the Website publicizing a product or event.
7. User Generated Content License. Please note that if you post, upload or otherwise make available any User Generated Content on our Websites, you will still own the User Generated Content (assuming you have rights to own it) but you are giving us the right to use your User Generated Content. That means that if you send in, post, upload, make available, or disclose to us in any way any User Generated Content, you grant us, our affiliates and related entities, the right use it any way we want in any medium without getting your permission or having to pay you for it.
In legal terms, by providing us with any User Generated Content, you grant us and our affiliates and related entities, a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and fully sub-licensable license to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, adapt, translate, archive, store, and create derivative works from such User Generated Content, in any form, format, or medium, of any kind now known or later developed. Without limiting the generality of the previous sentence, you authorize us to share the User Generated Content across all websites and online media platforms, newspapers, television and radio broadcast stations, and any other media now or hereafter known affiliated with us and to use your name, likeness and any other information in connection with our use of the material you provide. You waive any moral rights you might have with respect to any User Generated Content you provide to us. You also grant us the right to use any material, information, ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in any communication you provide or otherwise submit to us for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, commercial purposes, and developing, manufacturing and marketing commercial products using such information. All rights in this paragraph are granted without the need for additional compensation of any sort to you.
9. Risk from User Generated Content. We try to create an environment in which users are posting and discussing content that you will find useful, interesting and appropriate; however we cannot and do not monitor or manage all User Generated Content. Thus, we do not promise the accuracy, integrity, or quality of the User Generated Content and do not endorse it in any manner. In other words, enjoy what other members post or share, but do it at your own risk.
Also, all User Generated Content provided on the Websites is the sole responsibility of the person who provided it. This means that you are entirely responsible for all User Generated Content that you provide.
10. Third Party Sites: Our Websites may allow you to link to third-party websites. Those third-party websites do not belong to us, and we have no control over, and assume no responsibility for, the content, accuracy, usefulness, safety, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party websites. By using our Websites, you expressly relieve us and our affiliates and agents of any and all liability arising from your use of any third-party websites linked to our Websites. Enjoy the links, but at your own risk.
12. Limitation of Liability. Here’s more legal language which we need to protect us so that we can provide you the benefits of the Websites. In no event shall LFMC, its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives, Operational Service Providers, affiliates or agents be liable to you for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive, or consequential damages whatsoever resulting from any (a) mistakes, or inaccuracies of content on the Websites, (b) personal injury or property damage, of any nature whatsoever, resulting from your access to and use of the Websites, (c) any unauthorized access to or use of our secure servers and/or any and all non-secured Personal Information (d) any interruption or the cessation of transmission to or from the Websites, (e) any bugs, viruses, trojan horses, or the like, which may be transmitted to or through the Websites by any third party, and/or (f) any errors or omissions in any content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your use of any content posted, emailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the Websites, whether based on warranty, contract, tort or any other legal theory, and whether or not the company is advised of the possibility of such damages. The foregoing limitation of liability shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law in the applicable jurisdiction.
14. Your Copyrighted Work. Just as LFMC requires users to respect our copyrights, and those of our affiliates and partners, we respect the copyrights of others. If you believe in good faith that your copyrighted work has been reproduced on our Websites without authorization in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you may notify us by sending mail to our designated agent:
NAME: Tom Jackson
ADDRESS: DMCA Designated Agent
210 Interstate North Circle Suite 100 Atlanta, GA 30339
The notice must have the following information as provided by federal law (Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 512 (c)(3)):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
WE KNOW THERE WAS A LOT OF LEGAL LANGUAGE TO GET THROUGH ABOVE, BUT THANKS FOR READING AND NOW GO ENJOY THE WEBSITES!