FALCONS CLOSE OUT PRESEASON WITH A 20-16 LOSS TO THE JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS AT THE GEORGIA DOME
Atlanta opens the regular season in New Orleans on Sunday, September 8
· The Falcons wrapped up the 2013 preseason with a 20-16 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars at the Georgia Dome. Atlanta fell to 0-4 in preseason play despite outgaining Jacksonville 344-275.
· RB Josh Vaughan propelled the Falcons to a 16-13 lead in the third quarter when he broke a 65-yard touchdown run on his first carry of the game. Vaughan finished the game with 83 yards on five carries (16.6-yard per carry average) and one touchdown.
· DE Jonathan Massaquoi strip sacked Jaguars QB Matt Scott eight yards behind the line of scrimmage, picked up the loose ball, and returned it nine yards for a touchdown. Massaquoi’s fumble recovery marked the second straight preseason game in which Atlanta has forced its opponent to fumble.
· Massaquoi finished the night with four total tackles (three solo), one sack, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery.
· On Jacksonville’s ensuing possession, rookie CB Desmond Trufant intercepted Scott at the Falcons 43-yard line, setting up a 42-yard field goal by K Jeremy Shelley. Trufant was the 22nd overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft.
· Trufant finished the game with two tackles (two solo), two passes defensed, and one interception.
· Two of Atlanta’s three first-half takeaways came within the first four plays of Jacksonville possessions. In 2012, the Falcons tied for the NFL lead with 21 takeaways coming on opponent drives lasting four-or-fewer plays. Atlanta’s quick turnovers on Thursday night allowed the Falcons to trim the Jaguars lead to 10-9 going into halftime.
· The Falcons scored nine points off of takeaways on Thursday night. Last season, the Falcons ranked ninth in the NFL and fifth in the NFC scoring 103 points after takeaways.
· CB Robert Alford notched his second interception of the preseason, picking off QB Chad Henne’s second pass attempt of the game. Alford returned the interception 12 yards to the Jacksonville 29-yard line. The Falcons secondary recorded five interceptions during the 2013 preseason, two by Alford, one by Trufant, one by CB Asante Samuel, and one from CB Dominique Franks.
· QB Dominique Davis completed 18 of 35 pass attempts for 175 yards with one interception. He also added 23 yards on five carries on the ground. Davis finished the preseason with 456 yards on 41 of 78 passing while throwing for two touchdowns and three interceptions.
· TE Chase Coffman led all receivers with four catches for 47 yards. Coffman finished the preseason as Atlanta’s second leading receiver with 11 catches for 113 yards.